Knowledgeable Legal Advice Regarding Child Visitation And Parenting Plans

People often use the terms child custody and visitation interchangeably. These are two closely related issues, but they are different. If you are going through a divorce or involved in a paternity case, you should understand the distinction.

Contact our lawyers at Greenwood & Black in Provo to discuss your visitation issues.

The Difference Between Child Custody And Visitation

Child custody refers to both legal custody, which dictates parental decision-making, and physical custody, which dictates which parent the child will live with.

Child visitation, also known as parenting time, comes into play when one parent gets sole physical custody of the child. The child will live with the custodial parent. The noncustodial parent will typically be granted visitation rights so that he or she can spend a significant amount of time with the child and be involved in the child’s upbringing.

Creating A Parenting Plan

Out of all of the concepts involved with children in divorce and paternity cases, the one that is likely most important is the parenting plan. This is also referred to as a child custody and visitation agreement, or a child custody and visitation schedule.

At Greenwood & Black, our lawyers will take great care to create a parenting plan that protects your relationship with your child. This plan will outline the specific days and times that you will spend with your child, including birthdays and holidays. We will make certain that the parenting plan corresponds with your schedule and takes into account any special needs your child may have. With 30 years of experience on our side, we know the importance of careful planning and documentation to minimize disputes and misunderstandings.

Discuss Child Visitation With An Experienced Attorney

To discuss all of your legal options, call 801-377-4652 or send us an email to learn more about child visitation and parental planning in Provo, Orem and all of Utah County. Our attorneys are fluent in English and Spanish.